Tuesday 11 November 2008

Dear Sir
SPEED CAMERA - Feedback
"Fair cop, Gov.!". How often have I heard that in a TV ‘Cop’ series? Now, I am just the same as the criminals there portrayed - no different. However, I am guilty only by making a mistake (I know, we all say that, you’ll say); just a momentary lack of concentration on legal speed requirements - from traffic lights to camera, no distance; and not through a lack of safe driving, I assure you. The dead hand of the machine was waiting to clutch my shoulder and hurt me. It doesn’t want an explanation. That is its way. Flash and fine. Next please! Then, our insurance company gets all upset too. It’s a rolling downward spiral of a kind. Most unsettling, I assure you of that also. Hmm, most unsettling. Oh, Lapse! She has no heart, no thought, no forgiveness!

As I recall, it was quiet on the roads so no risk of a collision. No pedestrians around: no-one at risk from my "excess" speed. Your cameras stand just after a set of lights. Nice one. Silly situation to get myself into though. Must do better. But for the cohorts who lurk, another triumph. Snap, your done. "Criminal!" An alternative, far more effective and helpful, and far less offensive, is the flashing sign: "30 mph - reduce speed!" (No income then though and I nearly forgot that!).
I do not speed deliberately. And my car has cruise control which also serves to help keep me driving legally. It has been 30 years since my previous such ‘event’ (that one involved policemen). I am facing my eighth decade not too far away and I must hope that that is without fear and trepidation of a repeat. But what ever the effort, ‘tis a forlorn hope for everyone, I suspect.
‘Not Applicable’ of course to the 20% riding around with neither insurance nor tax. They are safe at least from a Camera Unit, and a lot else, I dare say. How ludicrous is that? I am proud to be in the 80%.
Please spend my £60 pounds on those road users who truly deserve your wrath - those referred to above who are ‘not bovvered’. Never should waste time replying to this. It is just that a goodly number of your ‘customers’ need your help somehow lest you lose us. A timely reminder is all we needed.
Yours faithfully


To: The Chief Constable
"Safety" Camera Unit

1 comment:

Richard Cattle said...

Hilarious! Keep them coming